eMine: Web Page Transcoding Based on Eye Tracking
The World Wide Web (web) has moved from the Desktop and now is ubiquitous. It can be accessed by a small device while the user is mobile or it can be accessed in audio if the user cannot see the content, for instance visually disabled users who use screen readers. However, since web pages are mainly designed for visual interaction; it is almost impossible to access them in alternative forms. Our overarching goal is to improve the user experience in such constrained environments by using a novel application of eye tracking technology. In brief, by relating scanpaths to the underlying source code of web pages, we aim to transcode web pages such that they are easier to access in constrained environments. The project is supported by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) and is conducted in collaboration with the Web Ergonomics Lab (WEL) at University of Manchester.
- Dr. Yeliz Yeşilada (Principle Investigator)
- Elgin Akpınar (Researcher/Scholar)
- Şükrü Eraslan (Researcher/Scholar)
- Dr. Simon Harper (Collaborator/Consultant)
- M Elgin Akpinar, Yeliz Yeşilada, Discovering Visual Elements of Web Pages and Their Roles: Users’ Perception, Interacting with Computers, Volume 29, Issue 6, November 2017, Pages 845–867, https://doi.org/10.1093/iwc/iwx015
- Sukru Eraslan and Yeliz Yesilada. 2015. Patterns in Eyetracking Scanpaths and the Affecting Factors. Journal of Web Engineering, (SCI-E), 14, 5-6, 363-385.
- Sukru Eraslan, Yeliz Yesilada and Simon Harper. Identifying Patterns in Eyetracking Scanpaths in Terms of Visual Elements of Web Pages. 2014. In: Casteleyn, S., Rossi, G. and Winckler, M. (Eds.) Web Engineering – ICWE 2014, LNCS, vol. 8541, Springer, 163-180.
- Şükrü Eraslan, Yeliz Yeşilada, Simon Harper: Understanding Eye Tracking Data for Re-engineering Web Pages. In: Sheng Q. Z. and Kjeldskov J. (eds.) Current Trends in Web Engineering – ICWE 2013 Workshops and PhD Symposium. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 8295, pp. 345-349. Springer (2013)
- M. Elgin Akpınar, Yeliz Yeşilada: Vision Based Page Segmentation Algorithm: Extended and Perceived Success. In: Sheng Q. Z. and Kjeldskov J. (eds.) Current Trends in Web Engineering – ICWE 2013 Workshops and PhD Symposium. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 8295, pp. 238-252. Springer (2013)
- M. Elgin Akpınar, Yeliz Yeşilada: Heuristic role detection of visual elements of web pages. In: Daniel, F., Dolog, P., Li, Q. (eds.) Web Engineering. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 7977, pp. 123-131. Springer (2013)
- Yeliz Yeşilada, Simon Harper, Şükrü Eraslan: Experiential transcoding: an eyetracking approach. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility. pp. 30:1-30:4. W4A’13, ACM, New York, NY, USA (2013),http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/ 2461121.2461134
- Şükrü Eraslan, Yeliz Yeşilada, Simon Harper: Analysis of algorithms to identify patterns in eye-tracking scanpaths. In: Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU), 2013 21st. pp. 1-4 (2013)